Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Mistake of Presidents Eisenhower and Kennedy

Revolutions occur with a reason. Usually, they do not succeed, or last, if not supported by a large segment of the population. Before the arrival of Fidel Castro, the regime Batista did nothing for the overall interests of Cubans.

Eight years after he left office, President Harry Truman told his biographer and interviewer, Merle Miller, what he would have done with Castro.

"If I had been President, when Castro came to power, I'd have picked up the phone and called him direct in Havana. I wouldn't have gone through protocol or anything like that...and I'd have said: Fidel, this is Harry Truman in Washington, and I'd like to have you come up here, and have a little talk."

"He would have come to the White House, and I would have said: Fidel, it looks to me you've had a pretty good revolution down there, and it's been a long time coming.
Now, you're going to need help, and there's only two places you can go to get it."

"One's right here, and the other - well, we both know where the other place is. Now, just you tell me what you need, and I'll see that you get it."

The whole world knows that Fidel Castro received a hero's welcome at the United Nations, but was chilled by Vice President Richard Nixon.

Nikita Khruschev could not have expected a better and timely opportunity: a communist seed in the Americas. Amazing to remember that Vice President Nixon was anxious to visit communist China, but ignore Cuba, which, at the time, was not a communist state.

We can wonder who was creating or encouraging the development of communist regimes?